Science-- there's something for everyone

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Categorizing smells

Our taste receptors can only detect five or six flavors: sweet, salt, bitter, sour, umami and possibly fat. Our eyes have only three types of color detecting cones.  For example, wavelengths of 475 nm trigger our blue cones. Yet smells seemed to defy discrete categorization. Until now.

Jason Castro from Bates College, Arvind Ramanathan from Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and Chakra Chennubhotla from the University of Pittsburg used data from smell tests conducted with dozens of trained olfactory scientists and perfumers. The volunteers rated how well each compound fit one of 146 descriptors, such as 'pleasantness', 'sweetness' or 'heaviness'. The researchers were able to develop a mathematical model of all the kinds of odors we can smell. According to them, we can detect ten broad categories of odor. I know you’re dying to know what they are, so here’s the list:

  1. Fragrant
  2. Woody/resinous
  3. Fruity (non-citrus)
  4. Chemical
  5. Minty/peppermint
  6. Sweet
  7. Popcorn
  8. Lemon
  9. Pungent
  10. Decayed

The last two are both ‘sickening’ odors that you would wish to avoid. 

This shouldn’t be interpreted to mean that everything smells like either lemons or popcorn (though I’m amazed that those two got their own categories). Rather, these are just names the authors picked for broad categories of smells. You can see a list of some of those scent categories below.

Table 1 10 largest-valued descriptors for each of the 10 basis vectors obtained from non-negative matrix factorization.
10 largest-valued descriptors for each of the 10 basis vectors obtained from non-negative matrix factorization.

To be clear, the researchers were classifying single odors, not jambalaya. I wouldn't put too much stock in the names or rigidity of these categories. That said, I find it interesting that there could be discrete divisions of smells. 


Castro JB, Ramanathan A, & Chennubhotla CS (2013). Categorical dimensions of human odor descriptor space revealed by non-negative matrix factorization. PloS one, 8 (9) PMID: 24058466.




4 comments:

  1. HERPES VIRUS CURE

    Am here to appreciate Dr OJOGUN for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. since 3 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. OJOGUN curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. OJOGUN on his email: drojogunherbalmedicine@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; drojogunherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2347059015454

    ReplyDelete
  2. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete
  3. My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr Ebhota herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was doubtful to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HPV/WART. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from WART/HPV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him drebhotasolution@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348089535482. Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he also c My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr Ebhota herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was doubtful to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HPV/WART. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from WART/HPV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him drebhotasolution@gmail.com o r whatsapp +2348089535482. Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he ure DIABETIES ULCAL CANCER etc.He also told me that he has solution for the flowing.1 Cancer cure2 Diabetes cure3 Ringing ear4 Herpes cure5 Warts cure6 HPV cure7 Get your ex back8 Pregnancy herbal medicine9 Prostate enlargement10 Hepatitis B11 Disability12 Kidney problem Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete